CHSP Major Home Modifications

What is a Major Home Modification?

A major home modification involves making structural changes to a home in order to maintain a person’s safety, health and independent living skills.  Funds are targeted towards “lower cost” modifications that are targeted to meet the clients “basic needs.” Examples include lifts, stair climbers, ramps and basic bathroom modifications.


Program Contribution

LifeTec is funded under the Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) to provide eligible seniors with major home modifications.  Under this program, LifeTec may provide a subsidy of up to 50% (capped at $10,000) towards the total cost of the home modification. The client is required to contribute the balance of the costs. The client retains ownership of the modification.


Who Can Apply?

Under the CHSP LifeTec can provide assistance with major home modifications to eligible persons, who are frail older people aged 65 years and over (50 years and over for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people) and who have functional limitations, to remain living independently at home and in their community.

Eligible persons must live within local government authority areas of Burdekin, Burke, Carpentaria, Charters Towers, Cloncurry, Doomadgee, Flinders, Hinchinbrook, McKinlay, Mornington, Mount Isa, Palm Island, Richmond, Townsville and part of the Whitsunday Regional Council (former Bowen Shire Council area).

Ineligible persons are those who are:

  • Public housing tenants
  • Tenants renting from providers who receive funding to provide appropriate accommodation for people with a disability or
  • Where the modifications are considered to be the responsibility of the property owner or as part of the tenancy agreement
  • People who are eligible to receive modifications through other programs such as the Department of Veteran’s Affairs
  • In palliative care
  • Carers of people listed above

Ineligible work:

  • Work that has already commenced
  • Work that has previously been completed by the eligible person
  • Work which is the responsibility of the landlord
  • Work which goes beyond assisting the eligible person to maintain safety, health and independent living skills
  • Work which is not supported by an Occupational Therapist
  • Work on structures not previously approved by the relevant authorities
Application Process

To apply for major home modifications, contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 and ask to be referred to LifeTec.  Due to the high level of demand for this service there may be a waiting list.  Once funding is available applicants will be assessed by one of LifeTec’s Occupational Therapists.

Today's Fact Sheet
Bed Mobility and Transfers

Do you want to be able to transfer from your bed safely and easily or without assistance? Do you want to make the task of turning over in bed or moving up or down the bed easier? Getting in…

Contact our Townville team today for more information on the home maintenance program.

How can we assist you today?