Frequently Asked Questions

What is AAC?

AAC stands for Augmentative and Alternative Communication. This term describes various methods of communication and may include:

  • High-tech speech generating devices
  • Low-tech communication boards/books
  • High-tech single and multi-message
  • Communication aids
  • Low-tech symbols
  • Unaided systems e.g. signing

What schemes are you registered for?

We are registered providers of NDIS, My Aged Care, EPC, DVA, CAEATI, NIISQ and MASS. Funding can be used to purchase assistive technologies to support independence.

What is MASS?

Subsidy funding for medical aids and equipment is available to eligible Queenslanders with permanent/stable conditions or disabilities. Aids and equipment are subsidy funded either on a permanent loan basis, private ownership or through the supply of consumables.

What is your relationship with (ILC) Independent Living Centre Australia?

Founded in 1981 we were the ILC QLD and in 2006 we became LifeTec. We still have a strong association with ILC Australia providing information and advice on assistive technology to enable independence.

What equipment can you provide?

We work very closely with disability equipment suppliers who provide a wide range of products. Suppliers are the experts on their own specific brands and product range. They can provide you with a lot of valuable information about the features and operation of their product range. For more info click here.

Can you give some examples of disability products you provide?

People often use our consultation service to identify and acquire the right AT for their needs. They include assistive technology for mobility, vision, vehicle, seating, computer workstation, ergonomics, communication,  access and home modifications. For more info click on the link to our product page.

How to do you make a difference?

You can see our consumer stories page. Not all options work as well for all people all the time. With the advancement in technology, the government investing in the sector and our passion for seeing the best outcome we are proud of the achievements from our team, our suppliers and most importantly from the people we help.

How can you help with a home modification?

To effectively implement you need an occupational therapist who understands your home and the products that are available. We are expert AT consultants with a long history of providing customised complex home modifications and assistive technology solutions. When working with families or individuals we think of the person we are helping, their environment and the things they do in their home and community.

How much does AT cost?

Everybody’s situation is different and the overall picture needs to be looked at. For enquiries either contact us or visit the independent living centre website to browse for products and supplier details.

How do you help the elderly?

We promote active ageing products…

What is SLP?

Speech and Language Pathology is a term sometimes used to describe what speech pathologists do.

Today's Fact Sheet
Bed Mobility and Transfers

Do you want to be able to transfer from your bed safely and easily or without assistance? Do you want to make the task of turning over in bed or moving up or down the bed easier? Getting in…

Contact our team today for more information on Assistive Technology.

How can we assist you today?